What is FABA about?
The Fredericksburg Area Builders Association (FABA), chartered in 1968 and incorporated in 1980 has hundreds of members both builders and associates. These members represent thousands of people whose livelihoods are directly tied to the building and building-related industries. FABA, a tax-exempt trade association, is affiliated with the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) and the Home Builders Association of Virginia (HBAV). With its main purpose to create and maintain a favorable climate for the growth and development of the building industry, the Fredericksburg Area Builders Association seeks to develop and maintain high professional business standards with the ultimate goal of providing home ownership to all individuals and families in our area. Centrally located between Washington, D.C., the nation’s capital, and Richmond, Virginia, the state capital, FABA serves the historic Fredericksburg, VA area including the surrounding counties of Spotsylvania, Stafford, King George, Caroline, Orange and regional areas of Quantico, Dahlgren and Northern Virginia.
FABA works to educate, promote, and represent the building industry while enhancing the region’s quality of life.
Our focus at FABA consists of three main areas:
Advocacy, Education and Networking.
Advocacy: To ensure a healthy climate for our industry, the FABA Legislative Committee constantly monitors upcoming legislation on a local, state and national level to ensure they will not have a negative impact on our industry. Together with NAHB and HBAV, FABA monitors the pulse of our Delegates and Senators to collectively speak for the building industry. At the local level, FABA meets on a regular basis with local building officials and Planning & Zoning staff keeping the dialogue open to stay current on local code changes, agendas, and department updates. This one-on-one relationship continues to promote goodwill between our local government and the building industry.
Education: The FABA staff consistently seek out educational opportunities for our members. We offer training seminars, information sessions, OSHA training, contract law seminars, to mention just a few. We canvass our members on a regular basis to determine the wants and needs for information on code changes, continued education credits, state mandated courses and more.
Networking: Most members join an association for the networking benefits and at FABA, the networking opportunities are many. We have a monthly Networking Lunch Club, we hold several social events throughout the year like our annual Holiday Party, Presidents Ball, a fun family event called Crab Feast and those are in addition to our larger events like Parade of Homes. There are many ways to network as a member of FABA, we encourage membership on councils and committees. Since FABA has builder AND associate members, the wide array of contacts at any given event is impressive.
Code of Ethics
We as members of the Fredericksburg Area Builders Association believe and affirm that:
- Homeownership can and should be within the reach of every American family
- American homes should be well-designed, well constructed, and well-located in attractive communities with educational, recreational, religious and shopping facilities accessible to all
- American homes should be built under the free enterprise system
To achieve these goals, we pledge allegiance to the following principles and policies:
- Our paramount responsibility is to our customer, our community and to our country
- Honesty is our guiding business policy
- High standards of health, safety and sanitation shall be built into every home
- Members shall deal fairly with their respective employees, subcontractors and suppliers
- As members of a progressive industry, we encourage research to develop new materials, new building techniques, new building equipment, and improve methods of home financing, to the end that every home purchase may get the greatest value possible for every dollar
- All sound legislative proposals affecting our industry and the people we serve shall have our informed vigorous support
- We hold inviolate the free enterprise system and the American way of life. We pledge our support to our associates, our local, state and national associations and all related industries concerned with the preservation of legitimate rights and freedoms
- We assume these responsibilities freely and solemnly, mindful that they are a part of our obligation as members of the National Association of Home Builders